Friday, August 15, 2008

Something Strange!

You know when you hear a song, and you feel like it's such an appropriate song for that moment? Or not even for that specific moment, but for something that's about to happen? Maybe that's just me. But it's been happening so often lately. And it's triggered by songs that aren't even new to me, it just seems like now they finally fit. I don't know. It's weird.

I bought a Rubik's cube about a month ago, since I've never solved one, and I know that my chemistry teacher had an algorithm for solving his. And it worked for him, so I figured I wanted to try. Anyways, I met up with a friend and we made our way over to the Toys R Us at Times Square (she lives around there anyway and I had gone into the city to meet with her for dinner). So we get in and this Toys R Us is FRICKING HUGE! There are tourists everywhere and there was just so much going on that we didn't know where to start. We made our way around the main floor, and without much luck, headed upstairs. We got to the top of the escalator and to my surprise (I had never been there before) there was a gigantic Dinosaur robot thing overlooking the Jurassic Park section of the store. So that was awesome. We headed over to the "Classic Games" section and continued our search. We found a bin full of Rubik's cubes, but to my dismay, they were only these kind:


and that wasn't what I wanted!

We dug through the basket to see if we could find any of the regular ones. But it was to no avail. We walked around the store and got distracted in the science toys section, which triggered lots of memories of my childhood. Then we remembered why we came her and started looking again, but then got distracted by CANDYLAND! Candyland occupies about 1/6th of the top floor and hosts all different types of sweets. So we bought some snacks for our search. We returned back to the huge basket of Rubik's Revolution cubes and I spotted something! There was a man walking around with the regular Rubik's cube! I went up to him and asked where he got it, he said something about a basket and kind of flung his hand in some general direction, so I didn't get much of an answer. My friend and I sorted through the basket once more to see if maybe we had missed something. Still no classic cubes to be found. We wound our way around the store, and found a cash register that I personally never remembered seeing. Anyways, lo and behold, right near this mystery cash register was the basket of Rubik's cubes that guy had directed me to. So in total, it took us about TWO HOURS to find that fricking cube. Then I went home and found my algorithm but it took me quite a while to actually get a feel for the cube. Within those next two days I had solved the first row, but I've been afraid to touch it since! I don't want to mess up my 1/3 completed cube! But I may have to start playing with it again...it may be good for the plane ride to Alabama.

0 comments: