Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Electron Transport Chains and Admissions

Today's 7th period AP Bio class was possible one of the best period of this year so far. We're starting cellular respiration, which is quite annoying (in my opinion), so the class provided lots of comic relief. I have an amazing bio teacher (I had her in 9th grade as well) with tons of experience and the most exuberant personality of anyone I have ever met. She is absolutely great, and makes everything more fun. She randomly bursts into songs during class, and goes off on silly tangents. Today, while learning about the ETC (electron transport chain) she started singing "Love Train" spurring a majority of my class into a discussion about other songs that the ETC reminds them of. At another point, my teacher pointed out the fact that there so few boys in our class, and also, our grade (my school is about 2/3 girls). Then she goes, "Oh, girl's, you're going to have so much fun in college! There are lots of cute guys! And all the older guys like to go for the freshman girls...just don't have too much fun!"
Heh. I love her. And then my friend goes, "Well, now I REALLY want to go to college!" and it just sent me over the edge.

Since I have the trip to Vassar tomorrow rather than my usual classes, I've set aside half of my homework for tomorrow night, and spent tonight reading old admissions blogs on the MIT website. And all of it has made me SO EXCITED. It's unnerving, but also really thrilling, to know that within the next 17 days I will no longer have any power over my MIT application. I'm scared to be thrown into the huge pool of applicants because even though I feel that I am a strong candidate, I know that MIT simply can't accept everyone. And there are LOTS of great people who apply. Even if I am one of those people, there is no guarantee. And it's frustrating, because there is only so much I can do about it. Hopefully all my efforts so far will pay off, but I won't know for sure until December. Along with all the excitement about admissions, I'm also really looking forward to the next few months. Here are the highlights of the upcoming months:
OCTOBER
-Parent Teacher Conferences (next week)
-NHS Haunted House (A really fun day where NHS members are stuck in the school for 14 hours straight, transforming throughout the day into terrifying creatures and ghouls, left to roam the hall ways in search of any random elementary school kid who crosses our paths...)
-Halloween! (I still don't know what I'm going to be...)
NOVEMBER
-AP Bio field trip to Memorial Sloan Kettering (where I used to voluteer!)
-Begin working on Science Olympiad
-Thanksgiving (yummm)
DECEMBER
-DECISIONS
-Christmas
and finally,
NEW YEAR'S EVE!
In addition, I'm also welcoming all winter weather, and can't wait till I can throw on my Uggs and cashmere sweater!

0 comments: