I've added a counter to the bottom of my blog counting down the days till the first day of school. My first day of Senior year.
Most of my other classmates are dreading the start of school, but not me. No, I'm that strange one who's actually excited for September 2nd. I'm counting on this year to be my best year of High School, and I'm completely ready for it to start. I'm taking AP Calculus, AP Bio, and HOPEFULLY Organic Chemistry. The reason I say hopefully is because it hasn't really been confirmed. My school generally only allows each Senior one science class, for some ridiculously stupid reason. I love science, why stop me from pursuing this passion? I'll avoid the ranting. Anyway, during my Junior year I went around the school bothering the hell out of the administration, trying to see if it would be possible for me to take both AP Bio and Organic Chem. And after all my hard work, the only answer I received was: "the scheduling should allow for you to take both". ARG!! I want a real answer!
So I'm left in the dark until we receive our schedules on the first day of school. To make things worse, most of the progress I made was with my Principal, who made the announcement at the end of the school year that she'd be leaving. So now we have a new principal who has never heard of my requests...so hopefully...I just don't know. I'm going to be really upset if I can't take both classes.
So that's just one reason I'm counting down. When that day comes, my question will FINALLY be answered. As much as I kind of love my school, it can be very frustrating.
My school is small. It's new too. My class was the first class to actually complete the school - giving it all 4 grades. So by the end of my freshman year, the first graduating class was set up to graduate. A lot of the time, I feel as though my school deprives me of the typical High School experience. That, along with the fact that I live in the City. We take the train to school. Our gym is smaller than our cafeteria (which was made to fit about 200 people). There is a limited number of sports teams, we have no marching band, it's nothing like the typical High School story. We have a few clubs, but no one really takes them seriously. Since our school is so new, we have the power to create our own clubs, which I must admit is pretty cool. But it would be even cooler if PEOPLE ACTUALLY JOINED THEM! I'm involved in Science Olympiad at my school, and really - we don't stand a chance in the competition. We don't start prepping until about 3 months before the competition, and we only have one team allowed to compete in less than half of the events. And there are actually quite a few people involved in Science Olympiad, but since we can only have so many teams entered, there are about 20+ people who just sit around in our room all day doing nothing. They could be competing! And it's not even like they don't want to compete! We just don't prepare them for the competition. I'm really hoping I can try and fix this this year. I want to try and get more teams in the competition, and start preparing them earlier. I'm going to do this along with starting my school's Math Team and getting them prepared as well.
So yeah, I'm going to be doing a lot this year. And I'm really psyched for it. I'm hoping that my efforts can make a lasting impact on my school, and bring it a little closer to maturity. I'm the type of person that loves to organize, and loves to run things. So, this is what I've chosen to spend my Senior year doing. And I know that even if I may get overwhelmed at times, the payoff will be totally worth it.
Thursday, August 14, 2008
A Bit of an Explanation
Posted by Kasey at 11:13:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment